Ulladulla + Shellharbour

On Sunday the 11th of February we packed up camp and headed back along King’s Highway- enroute to Ulladulla. All was going well until we were about 20km’s from Bateman’s Bay. After driving for about 20 minutes down a mountain that was just a sheer drop, we pulled into a slip lane to let some cars past. All of a sudden we heard horns honking and had people out the window yelling at us to pull over! We had no idea what was going on, and although not the ideal place to stop Koel quickly pulled up and we got out to have a look. The brakes were nearly on fire, there was smoke billowing everywhere and the smell was just disgusting! Of course we were both panicking however Koel hid it better then me. We jumped back in the car because we were sitting ducks pulled up in the slow lane, I was just praying a truck didn’t come round the corner! The only choice we had was to keep driving until we found somewhere to pull over off the road. Thank goodness about five hundred metres down the road we found a rest point. Worst 5 minutes of my life my heart had actually stopped! After we pulled up we just sat and waited for the brakes to cool, Koel threw some water on them and it was then we realised actually how hot they were. About 5 minutes after we pulled in another couple stopped aswell with the same issue. The guy and Koel both looked at each other and said “this is f$#%@d!”

After about 40 minutes we were ready to hit the road again, I felt physically sick because we still had about 10km’s of mountain to go down! We finally made it back to Bateman’s Bay and stopped at a servo for a much needed breather. We made the executive decision to stick with the original plan and drive to Ulladulla. We arrived at the caravan park and were over the moon to see a splash park, table tennis table and jumping pillow, which was directly opposite our campsite 😀 there was also heaps of wild life with the parakeets letting us feed them and a possum that was bit to friendly!

There was even a private beach with thousands of shells just a short walk away, and a bath in the bathroom!! After seeing all the activities we decided to stay 4 nights which turned out to be a good decision.

On Monday we went to a tyre place and it was decided we needed new brake pads, so we booked the bus in for the following day. We did a quick trip to Bunnings to buy some rope to make the girls some shell necklaces and restock on more citronella candles which seem to be the only thing keeping the mozzies at bay. The rest of the afternoon was spent at the beach. Koel and I decided we both felt like fish and chips for tea, but anyone who know’s me knows I only eat battered flake which you can’t buy anywhere apparently!! Koel settled for blue grenadier and by this time it was 8:15pm and I was determined not to cook tea, so went for subway #regrets.


Tuesday was also a lazy day spent waiting for the bus. Koel said he will be happy to never walk the streets of Ulladulla again after walking two and from the tyre place 100 times. He ended up coming back to the caravan park at lunchtime and took Lila-Rae on an adventure while Frankie and I stayed at the caravan watching Zootopia. When that finished and there was still no sign of Koel and Lila-Rae we decided to go find them. Happy days for Lila-Rae as she finally found the red dress she had desperately wanted in Canberra, thanks Best & Less!



The bus was finally finished at 4:50pm so we picked it up and spent the rest of the day at the caravan park, determined to make Wednesday our exploring day!

We woke up and headed for Sussex Inlet, the home of Stix and Wombat from The Block! Another place we just thought “how could anyone live here?” it was just breathtaking. By 11am it was 32 degrees so we headed down to the local beach for a look, and while there got to watch a pod of dolphins swim past! What an amazing experience!


On the way back up the track Lila-Rae found a lizard that she had to get a photo with, much to my disgust.


Next stop was Cudmirrah beach which of course was just was beautiful. The girls had a quick swing and Koel fixed the squeak on one of them, good deed done for the day.


The girls have become intrigued by signs and try and guess what is allowed and not allowed at the beaches. My favourite is the No “Glittering” rule haha!

We finally made it back to the caravan park and decided to head down to the saltwater pool for a swim. In the end bad decision, after having to walk down the hill the girls were hot and bothered. And I didn’t realise how bad their mosquito bites would react with the salt water, so the whole swim ended in tears with Koel having to walk back by himself and get the bus so that we could go to the chemist after Lila-Rae’s started weeping puss, yuck! I won’t post that photo.


After letting the girls have a nap we decided to head to the local bowls club for $10 snitzel night. We hadn’t booked and as we walked in realised it was valentines day! How romantic we are haha! Luckily they had a table for us and we had the best meal of the trip, Koel left in a food coma!

Koel also discovered a pie shop called Hayden’s pies that he frequented regularly while we were in Ulladulla!


Thursday we woke and drove along the coast toward Wollongong. Halfway into our trip I saw a sign for Jervis Bay and asked Koel if we could go have a look. Turns out it was about a 40 minute detour and $11 entry into the national park but so worth it, we visited one of the beaches with the whitest sand in the world. Unfortunately it wasn’t a very nice day and the girls health and temper didn’t allow us to visit all of the attractions. Because we had the caravan on we also weren’t allowed access to a lot of the national park. I would love to one day go back to Jervis Bay to stay for a few day and explore the whole lot!

We drove from Jervis Bay to Kiama where we planned to stop for the night. Driving down into Kiama was a nightmare with the small streets and cars parked either side. We arrived at a caravan park that only had a vacancy for 1 night at $50, everything else was also booked out for the weekend! Turns out they were having a super 7’s tournament over the weekend attracting over 700 people- just our luck! We still haven’t learned to book ahead for weekends, just so fun winging it!

I was getting so frustrated trying to find accommodation with limited internet, give Koel directions and umpire the countless arguments happening in the back. I finally got hold of a caravan park in Shellharbour who said they had 2 nights available so I booked it without really looking into it. $110 later for 2 nights in a park without a camp kitchen, playground or pool! I was nearly crying after check in, it had just been an all round bad day. Luckily Koel was nothing but positive and didn’t make me feel like an absolute failure haha!

We set up the caravan, not even bothering with the awning and decided to go for a drive to the Seacliff Bridge. The girls fell asleep about 5 minutes in so we had a quiet trip! The sea cliff bridge was absolutely amazing and the little towns on the way like Wombarra, Austinmer, Clifton and Stanwell Park just absolutely blew our minds! Neither of us can comprehend the incredible houses and views! What a lifestyle, only 80km’s from Sydney!

Koel and I picked up our jaws and started driving back with a quick detour to Woolworths. We got back to the park and cooked tea, and then a lovely lady who was a permanent resident came and told us they had been having all of trouble with theft! Great! So we packed up the bus with our chairs, bbq, gas bottles etc and locked it up for the night. What an experience.

Friday we were up and about early and decided to drive to Bowral. It was an experience just driving there! I have never been on such a treacherous road, no guard rails, trucks, buses, no lines, it was just next level! It was on this drive that we heard on the radio a man had been bitten by a shark on Kiama beach the night before and the beach was now closed! The man suffered leg injuries but is expected to full recover according to google. Lucky we didn’t stay at that caravan park!

Of course our first stop was the cricket museum to read all about Donald Bradman. There was SO much information it was just great, a must visit! I really enjoyed the 5 minute documentary on the evolution of World Series cricket. Kerry Packer, what a determined man! For the first year to pretty much fail even after the obstacles he had already overcome, it was so interesting. I wasn’t aware of any of that kind of history so really enjoyed it.

We left the cricket museum and found a lookout to eat our cut lunch at and then started the journey back down the mountain! We did call into the Illawarra Fly Treetop Adventures but decided not to spend the money as it was a really foggy day so probably wouldn’t have been able to see much!

Our next stop was a massive Salvo’s just down the road from our caravan park, we spent a whole hour scanning the racks for a bargain and left with a skirt for Frankie!

We headed back to the caravan park where the girls had made friends with a kookaburra and cockatoo statues so they spent the afternoon feeding them leaves.

Our next stop is Fairy Meadow- on the other side of Wollongong, before 2 nights in the Blue Mountains and 2 nights in Sydney with friends. I will blog about this soon!


After adding the photos to this blog (which I always do last) I have realised the girls have pretty much worn the same thing for 4 days. Don’t worry the dresses were washed regularly and they do have other clothes!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s